Healthy foods are foods that enhance your healthy living. These foods make you grow. They give you energy with which to work. Eating healthy foods can heal you when you fall sick and it can help your body repair any damaged part. Healthy foods can make you look ‘every year young’ and they can make you have a healthy long life.
The foundation for a proper nutrition is in whole, pure and natural foods. Without proper healthy eating, you can never achieve and maintain good health. Good health through healthy eating is only possible when you know what to eat at the right quantity and at the right time.
There are five major groups of healthy foods. However, at any one meal, you need a combination of 2 or 3 groups in order to achieve a balanced diet. But first, let me show you the food groups.
1. Whole Grains: Grains are rich in proteins, minerals and starch. This group includes foods like rice, oats, corn, beans, soybeans, peas, wheat, etc.
2. Tubers: Tubers are high polysaccharide carbohydrates. When you eat this class of healthy food, their sugars provide the most important source of energy for your body. The foods in this category include potato, yam, plantain, cassava, etc.
3. Fruits & Vegetables: When you regularly eat fruits and vegetables, you acquire a wide variety of vitamins and minerals that are needed and easily assimilated by your body. Some of these fruits are apple, orange, lemon, watermelon, banana, pineapple, avocado, etc. For the vegetables, your body needs tomato, cucumber, cabbage, pumpkin, carrot, garlic, onion, green beans, etc.
4. Seafoods: Seafoods are high in fatty acids, iodine, omega-3 and vitamins A, D & K. The foods in this group include fish and fish liver oil.
5. Fat: Fat should not be omitted in your healthy food diet so long as it is not more than 30% of your daily calorie intake. One of the best sources of fat is from cold-pressed vegetable oils such as soybean oil, fresh palm fruit oil and groundnut oil. These oils are rich in essential fatty acids, lecithin, and vitamins A & E.
Variety, they say, is the spice of life. Remember that by combining the above healthy food groups in the right proportion will help your body acquire the nutrients you need to boost your immune system in order to adequately fight infections; repair or replace dead cells and tissues; and also the required energy for your daily activities.